HOW CAN I QUALIFY FOR FREE TAX HELP?
You can qualify for free tax help at our VITA sites if your household income does not exceed $54,000 to $55,000.
You MUST bring the following with you to the tax site:
- Picture ID
- Original Social Security Card for yourself, spouse (if any), and every person being claimed as a dependent on your tax return. If you do not have the originals of any social security card required, you must bring another document (other than a W-2 form) that contains your social security number. Birth certificates are not acceptable – they do not have social security numbers.
- All documents and information listed here.
- If you are married and filing jointly with your spouse, your spouse must be with you to sign the e-file authorization form.
We DO NOT prepare the following types of returns or forms (considered out-of-scope for VITA):
- Returns for those receiving rental income (landlords)
- Partnership or corporate returns
- Returns with farm or fishing income
- Schedule C (business) with losses or employees or inventory or any claim for actual vehicle expenses (vs. standard mileage rate) or expenses over $25,000
- Complicated and advanced Schedule D (capital gains and losses)
- Returns for taxpayers who are in the U.S. on an F, J, M, or Q visa.
- Self-employed health coverage deductions for the premium tax credit
- Returns involving alimony/divorce agreements executed before 1985
- Tax returns for ministers and members of the clergy because of unique tax issues
- Form W-2 with code Q in box 12, indicating combat pay – Military certification required
- Energy credits – Form 5695 Part 1 (out-of-scope)
- Form SS-5 (request for Social Security Number)
- Form 8606 (non-deductible IRA)
- Form 8615 (minor’s investment income)
- Form SS-8 (determination of worker status for purposes of federal employment taxes and income tax withholding)
IF YOU DO NOT QUALIFY for free tax preparation service, please consider using MyFreeTaxes. For Tax Season 2016, anyone who has income of less than $62,000 can prepare and e-file BOTH their federal and state tax returns for free. Go to http://myfreetaxes.com/