What to bring to a free tax site to have your returns prepared:
- Current PICTURE Identification and; ORIGINAL Social Security cards for yourself AND anyone being claimed as a dependent;
- Copy of last year’s tax returns if possible
- All W-2 Forms showing wages
- Unemployment Compensation Statements (1099 G);
- SSA-1099 Form if you were paid Social Security benefits;
- All other 1099 Forms showing other income such as interest earned, dividends, independent contractor earnings, and pensions FOR EXAMPLE:
- 1099-MISC (independent contractors)
- 1099-R (pension or annuities)
- Child or Dependent Care Provider Information (name, employer ID or social security number);
- If you are self-employed, you must be a sole proprietor (also see below) and all receipts and expenses
MUST BE ORGANIZED AND ADDED BY CATEGORIES BY YOU:
- 1099-C (cancellation of debt – but ONLY if the cancellation results from a personal credit debt or the foreclosure of a primary residence)
- Landlord name, address, and General Excise Tax number if you are claiming the Low Income Renters Credit.
- Student Loans, Scholarship and Tuition fees – including any 1098-T Forms issued to you by the college or university PLUS a print out of your educational account which students can access through their college account.
- Alimony paid or received.
- All forms indicating other Federal tax payments such as estimated tax payments, etc.
- All forms indicating IRA contributions
- Bank information if you are direct depositing your refund – must be in taxpayer’s name
- PROOF OF HEALTH INSURANCE COVERAGE. Everyone must show proof of health insurance coverage for all of 2016 or establish that they are exempt. Taxpayers who claim a dependent are responsible for that dependent’s coverage.
VITA IS A SERVICE FOR THOSE WITH HOUSEHOLD INCOME NOT EXCEEDING $55,000 IN ADDITION, VITA SITES DO NOT PREPARE RETURNS FOR:
Self-employed with more than $25,000 in expenses or who have employees or who are claiming a net loss
- Those receiving rental income or royalties
- Those with farm income or fishing income
- Partnership income (K-1) or corporations, including S Corporations
- Certain types of pensions and annuity payments if taxable amounts are not calculated
- Sale of stocks unless there were less than 5 such transactions and the taxpayer knows the adjusted basis for each stock sold.
- Those with income from another state. (Please see below)
If you are comfortable preparing your own return and you earned less than $64,000 in 2016, please go to http://myfreetaxes.com. This site will allow you to prepare AND e-file both your federal and state returns for FREE. You must make sure that your income does not exceed $64,000. This free service is provided by United Way Worldwide.